Video buffers or pauses when streaming on your computer
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
If videos frequently buffer when streaming on your computer, try these steps:
- Try using another browser to see if the buffering happens with another browser. See supported browsers
- Make sure the cables to your network devices (modem, router, etc.) are all tightly connected at both connection points. A loose coaxial or Ethernet cable can weaken the signal.
- Test your connection: Check your Internet connection to make sure its minimum download speed is 5 Mbps. To do this, open a browser and search for 'Internet speed test.' If your download speed doesn't meet the minimum, contact your Internet provider to troubleshoot your connection speed.
- Restart your network devices: Restart your computer and network devices. Here's how:
- Close all apps and turn off your computer.
- Unplug the power from your network devices (modem, router, etc.).
- Reconnect the power to your modem and then your router, letting each device power up before connecting the next.
- Turn on your computer.
- Go to HBOGO.com and play a video.
- Reduce network traffic: If other people are using the same network, ask them to temporarily pause their activity. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Try a wired connection: For the best performance, try using a wired connection with your computer. To do this, connect your computer to your router using an Ethernet cable.
The above steps will typically resolve issues with your Internet connection or network bandwidth. However, if you continually experience buffering when streaming video, you might want to investigate further by monitoring fluctuations in your connection speed over time and working with your Internet provider to troubleshoot.
If you're using Internet Explorer (on Windows 8.1 and earlier) or Safari version 9 or 10, please see Troubleshoot video playback with Adobe Flash Player.