Troubleshoot video playback issues on Xbox 360
HBO GO requires a solid Internet connection while streaming video. HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network connection. If you're experiencing streaming issues, a slow or inconsistent network connection might be the cause.
To improve video playback on your Xbox 360, try the following:
Step 1: Check the Xbox Live service status
Check the status of Xbox Live and the HBO GO app on the Xbox Live Service status page (scroll down to Apps to see if there's an issue with the HBO GO app).
Step 2: Check your connection speed
Check the speed of your Internet connection. To do this, go to the Xbox 360 Slow Performance Solution and run the Xbox speed test. To stream video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 3 Mbps. Test video playback at different times of the day (morning, afternoon, evening) to see if you get different results.
Step 3: Power cycle your devices
Try power cycling your Xbox 360 console and your network devices. Here's how:
- Turn off your Xbox 360 console.
- Unplug the power from your network devices (modem, router, etc.).
- Reconnect the power to your modem and then your router. Let each device power up before connecting the next.
- Turn on your console and try playing an HBO GO video.
Step 4: Reduce traffic on your network
Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
Step 5: Delete the Playready License Store
- Exit the HBO GO app.
- Go to Settings > System Settings > Storage.
- Select your primary storage device (i.e. Hard Drive).
- Select Games and Apps.
- Scroll down and select HBO GO.
- Select Saved Game and then select Delete.
- Select HBO GO Playready License Store and then select Delete.
- Restart HBO GO and play a video.
Step 6: Try a wired connection
For the best performance, try using a wired connection instead of a wireless connection. To do this, connect your Xbox 360 console to your home network using an Ethernet cable.
For HBO GO service status and additional troubleshooting help, go to HBO GO app on Xbox 360 help.