How do I restrict what my kids can watch on HBO GO?
There are two ways to control what your kids can watch or browse on HBO GO:
- Parental controls: Limits what can be watched based on ratings.
- Kids lock: Limits browsing and watching to shows in the Kids section (on phones and tablets).
Parental controls limit which HBO GO shows and movies can be watched based on industry-standard movie and TV ratings. For more information, see How to use parental controls.
Kids lock lets you comfortably hand your phone or tablet to your kids and know that they can only access shows and movies in the Kids section of HBO GO. When Kids lock is active, shows and movies in sections other than Kids can't be browsed or played and Search is unavailable.
Note Kids Lock is only available on your phone or tablet (not available on your TV or HBOGO.com).
To turn on Kids lock:
- Open the HBO GO app on your phone or tablet, tap the Menu button, and then tap Kids.
- Tap the Lock button.
- Do one of the following:
- First time? Enter and confirm a four-digit PIN.
- Already have a PIN? Enter your PIN (parental controls and Kids lock share the same PIN). If you forgot your PIN, see How to reset or change your PIN.
Kids Lock is now active (the lock changes to a closed padlock) and your child can only browse shows and movies in the Kids section. Movies and TV shows in the Kids section have a rating of PG or lower. To add further restrictions, you can use parental controls.
To turn off Kids Lock: Tap the Lock button and then enter your PIN.
Using parental controls and Kids Lock together
You can use parental controls and Kids lock together on a phone or tablet. For example, you can set the maximum allowed movie rating to G and the maximum allowed TV show rating to TV-G. Now if you turn on Kids Lock, your child can watch only G-rated movies and shows in the Kids section. Your child can still browse PG-rated movies in the Kids section, but the parental controls prevent them from watching those movies.