Troubleshoot video playback issues on PlayStation 4
HBO GO requires a solid Internet connection while streaming video. HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network connection. If you're experiencing streaming issues, a slow or inconsistent network connection might be the cause.
To improve video playback on your PlayStation 4, try the following:
Step 1: Check your connection speed
On your PlayStation 4 system, go to Settings > Network > Internet Connection Test. To stream video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 3 Mbps. Test video playback at different times of the day (morning, afternoon, evening) to see if you get different results.
Step 2: Power cycle your devices
Try power cycling your PlayStation 4 and your network devices. Here's how:
- Turn off your PlayStation 4.
- Unplug the power from your network devices (modem, router, etc.).
- Reconnect the power to your modem and then your router. Let each device power up before connecting the next.
- Turn on your PlayStation 4 and try playing an HBO GO video.
Step 3: Reduce traffic on your network
Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
Step 4: Try a wired connection
For the best performance, try using a wired connection instead of a wireless connection. To do this, connect your PlayStation 4 to your home network using an Ethernet cable.
For additional troubleshooting information, go to PlayStation: Troubleshoot Network Connection.
Step 5: Reinstall HBO GO
Delete and reinstall the HBO GO app:
- Remove the HBO GO app from your PlayStation 4.
- Restart your PlayStation 4 system.
- Download the HBO GO app from the PlayStation Store.
- Activate HBO GO and play a video to see if playback is improved.