Troubleshoot HBO GO on PlayStation 3
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your Playstation 3, try the steps below, retrying the action that wasn't working after each step.
Step 1: Check for Playstation updates
Go to Settings > System Update to check for updates.
Step 2: Check your internet connection
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
To check your connection speed go to Settings > Network > Internet Connection Test. If your network speed is above 5 mbps, your connection is fast enough for HBO GO. To keep troubleshooting, move onto Step 3.
If your network speed is below 5 mbps, try accessing HBO GO on another device, to make sure it’s the network and not just your device that’s having a problem. If the other device works fine, move to Step 3. If it also has trouble connecting to HBO GO, follow these steps to try and increase your network speed.
- Try a wired connection - Try connecting your device to your home network using an Ethernet cable (if it isn't already), or contact your Internet provider for help.
- Reduce traffic on your Wi-Fi network - Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Restart network Wi-Fi devices - As a last resort, try restarting your network devices. Unplug your modem and router, wait one minute, then plug them back in.HBO GO requires a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps to stream video. If you're experiencing streaming issues, a slow or inconsistent network connection might be the cause.
For additional troubleshooting information, go to PlayStation: Troubleshoot Network Connection.
Step 3: Restart your Playstation
Restart you Playstation 3, then open HBO GO and see if the issue is resolved.
Step 4: Uninstall/reinstall HBO GO
Delete and reinstall the HBO GO app:
- Remove the HBO GO app from your PlayStation 3.
- Restart your PlayStation 3 system.
- Download the HBO GO app from the PlayStation Store.
- Sign in to HBO GO and play a video to see if playback is improved.