Troubleshoot Chromecast on iPhone or iPad
To cast from an iOS device, your device and your Chromecast must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
If you're experiencing issues using HBO GO and Chromecast on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, try the following steps:
Step 1: Update your software
- Make sure you have the latest version of HBO GO. To do this, open the App Store on your iOS device and search for HBO GO to see if an app update is available.
- Make sure that your iOS software is up to date by going to Settings > General > Software Update. Learn how to update
Step 2: Check your internet connection
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
To check your network speed, search for “speed test” in a browser, then select RUN SPEED TEST or Start.
If your network speed is above 5 mbps, your connection is fast enough for HBO GO. To keep troubleshooting, move onto Step 3.
If your network speed is below 5 mbps, try accessing HBO GO on another device, to make sure it’s the network and not just your device that’s having a problem. If the other device works fine, move to Step 3. If it also has trouble connecting to HBO GO, follow these steps to try and increase your network speed.
- Reduce traffic on your Wi-Fi network - Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Restart network Wi-Fi devices - As a last resort, try restarting your network devices. Unplug your modem and router, wait one minute, then plug them back in.
Note: Your iOS device and Chromecast must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Step 3: Restart your devices
- Unplug the power cord from your Chromecast device.
- Restart your iOS device.
- Plug in your Chromecast device.
- Make sure that both your iOS device and Chromecast are connected to the same Wi-Fi network (go to Settings >Wi-Fi on your device, and choose a network).
- Try casting a video.
Step 4: Uninstall and reinstall HBO GO
- Tap and hold the HBO GO app icon until it jiggles.
- Tap the X on the HBO GO icon.
- When prompted, tap Delete to confirm.
- Press the Home button.
- Go to the App Store to find and reinstall HBO GO.