Troubleshoot issues with Chromecast on iPhone or iPad
If you're experiencing issues using HBO GO and Chromecast on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, try the following steps:
Step 1: Check your internet connection
HBO GO requires a constant Internet connection of 5.0 Mbps or greater to stream video. If playback is buffering on your iOS device, check your connection speed using an app (i.e. go to Speedtest.net and install the Speed Test app). HBO GO automatically adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network connection.
If you're using a cellular data connection, try connecting to a wireless network and see if playback is improved (go to Settings > Wi-Fi on your device, and choose a network).
Note: Your iOS device and Chromecast must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Step 2: Restart the HBO GO app
- Press the Home button two times quickly to see the running apps.
- Swipe left or right to find HBO GO.
- Swipe up on the HBO GO preview to close it.
- Press the Home button.
- Find HBO GO and tap it to restart the app.
Step 3: Restart your devices
- Unplug the power cord from your network devices (i.e. modem and router).
- Unplug the power cord from your Chromecast device.
- Turn off your iOS device.
- Plug in your network devices one at a time, letting each device power up before connecting the next (start with the modem first). Turn your iOS device back on.
- Plug in your Chromecast device.
- Make sure that both your iOS device and Chromecast are connected to the same Wi-Fi network (go to Settings >Wi-Fi on your device, and choose a network).
- Try casting a video.
Step 4: Uninstall and reinstall HBO GO
- Tap and hold the HBO GO app icon until it jiggles.
- Tap the X on the HBO GO icon.
- When prompted, tap Delete to confirm.
- Press the Home button.
- Go to the App Store to find and reinstall HBO GO.
Step 5: Check for software updates
- Make sure you have the latest version of the HBO GO app (go to the App Store on your device and see if there's an update available).
- Make sure that your iOS software is up to date by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update. For more information, go to Apple Help: Update the iOS software.
HBO GO requires a solid Internet connection while streaming video. If you continue to have casting issues, check the speed of your connection (i.e. go to Speedtest.net and install the Speed Test app on your iOS device).
If you continue to experience issues, go to Chromecast Help.