Troubleshoot issues with Chromecast on Android phones or tablets
If you're experiencing issues using HBO GO and Chromecast on your Android phone or tablet, try the following steps:
Note Because there are many different Android phones and tablets, the exact procedures might vary from those below.
Step 1: Check your internet connection
HBO GO requires a constant Internet connection of 3.0 Mbps or greater to stream video. If playback is buffering on your Android device, check your connection speed using an app (i.e. go to Speedtest.net and install the Speed Test app). HBO GO automatically adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network connection.
If you're using a cellular data connection, try connecting to a wireless network and see if playback is improved (go to Settings > Wi-Fi on your device, and choose a network).
Note: Your Android device and Chromecast must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Step 2: Close and restart HBO GO
- On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > Application Manager (this step might vary depending on the device and operating system).
- Tap HBO GO in the list of apps (you might have to scroll through the list to find it).
- Tap Force Stop.
- Open the HBO GO app and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 3: Restart your devices
- Unplug the power cord from your network devices (i.e. modem and router).
- Unplug the power cord from your Chromecast device.
- Turn off your Android device.
- Plug in your network devices one at a time, letting each device power up before connecting the next (start with the modem first). Turn your Android device back on.
- Plug in your Chromecast device.
- Make sure that both your Android device and Chromecast are connected to the same Wi-Fi network (go to Settings >Wi-Fi on your device, and choose a network).
- Try casting a video.
Step 4: Uninstall and reinstall HBO GO
If you still have video playback issues, delete and reinstall HBO GO:
- On your device, navigate to Settings > Apps (this step might vary depending on the device and operating system).
- Tap HBO GO in the list of downloaded apps.
- Tap Force Stop.
- Tap Clear Data to clear HBO GO app data from your device's memory.
- Tap Clear Cache.
- Tap Uninstall.
- Download and reinstall HBO GO from the Google Play Store.
- Open HBO GO and try playing a video to see if playback is improved.
Step 5: Check for software updates
- Make sure you have the latest version of the HBO GO app (go to the Play Store on your device and see if there's an update available).
- Check for Android software updates by going to Settings > About Phone > System Update on your Android phone or tablet.
If you continue to experience issues, go to Chromecast Help.
Note HBO GO is not supported on rooted Android devices or devices with a custom ROM. As a result, you may encounter problems that can only be resolved by restoring your device to factory settings.