Troubleshoot video playback issues with HBO GO and Chromecast on Android phones or tablets
If you're experiencing issues using HBO GO and Chromecast on your Android phone or tablet, try the following steps:
Note Because there are many different Android phones and tablets, the exact procedures might vary from those below.
Step 1: Software updates
- Make sure you have the latest version of the HBO GO app (go to the Play Store on your device and see if there's an update available).
- Check for Android software updates by going to Settings > About Phone > System Update on your Android phone or tablet.
Step 2: Power cycle your devices
- Unplug the power cord from your network devices (i.e. modem and router).
- Unplug the power cord from your Chromecast device.
- Plug in your network devices one at a time, letting each device power up before connecting the next (start with the modem first).
- Plug in your Chromecast device.
- Make sure that both your Android device and Chromecast are connected to the same Wi-Fi network (go to Settings >Wi-Fi on your device, and choose a network).
- Try casting a video.
Step 3: Remove and reinstall HBO GO
If you still have video playback issues, delete and reinstall HBO GO:
- On your device, navigate to Settings > Apps (this step might vary depending on the device and operating system).
- Tap HBO GO in the list of downloaded apps.
- Tap Force Stop.
- Tap Clear Data to clear HBO GO app data from your device's memory.
- Tap Clear Cache.
- Tap Uninstall.
- Download and reinstall HBO GO from the Google Play Store.
- Open HBO GO and try playing a video to see if playback is improved.
HBO GO requires a solid Internet connection while streaming video. If you continue to have casting issues, check the speed of your connection (i.e. go to Speedtest.net and install the Speed Test app on your Android device).
If you continue to experience issues, go to Chromecast Help.
Note HBO GO is not supported on rooted Android devices or devices with a custom ROM. As a result, you may encounter problems that can only be resolved by restoring your device to factory settings.