Troubleshoot HBO GO on Amazon Fire TV
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, or Fire TV Cube, try the steps below.
Note: Amazon Fire TV voice commands are not currently supported in HBO GO.
Step 1: Check for software updates
- On your Amazon Fire TV, go to Settings > Device > About.
- Choose Check for System Update. If an update is available, it'll be downloaded.
- After the download is complete, choose Install System Update to install the update.
Step 2: Check your internet connection
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
To check your network speed:
- On your Amazon Fire TV, go to Settings > Network.
- Press the Play button on your remote to check your network status.
If your network speed is Good, your connection is fast enough for HBO GO. To keep troubleshooting, move onto Step 3.
If your network speed is Poor, try accessing HBO GO on another device, to make sure it’s the network and not just your device that’s having a problem. If the other device works fine, move to Step 3. If it also has trouble connecting to HBO GO, follow these steps to try and increase your network speed.
- Try a wired connection - Try connecting your device to your home network using an Ethernet cable (if it isn't already), or contact your Internet provider for help.
- Reduce traffic on your network - Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Restart network devices - As a last resort, try restarting your network devices. Unplug your modem and router, wait one minute, then plug them back in.
Step 3: Restart your Amazon Fire TV
- Unplug your Amazon Fire TV or Amazon Fire TV Stick, wait 20 seconds.
- Plug your Amazon Fire TV back in.
- Start HBO GO and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 4: Uninstall and reinstall HBO GO
- Go back to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications.
- Find and select HBO GO.
- Select Uninstall.
- Go to Home and search for HBO GO.
- Select HBO GO and then choose Download.
- Activate HBO GO on your Amazon Fire TV.
- Check to see if the issue is resolved.