Troubleshoot HBO GO on Roku
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your Roku, try the steps below, retrying the action that wasn't working after each step.
Step 1: Check for Roku software updates
From the Roku Home screen, choose Settings > System > System update > Check now.
Step 2: Check your internet connection
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
You can check the speed of your internet connection by going to Tips for improving the wireless connection and following the steps in the How to check your wireless signal strength section.
If your network speed is above 5 mbps, your connection is fast enough for HBO GO. To keep troubleshooting, move onto Step 3.
If your network speed is below 5 mbps, try accessing HBO GO on another device, to make sure it’s the network and not just your device that’s having a problem. If the other device works fine, move to Step 3. If it also has trouble connecting to HBO GO, follow these steps to try and increase your network speed.
- Try a wired connection - Try connecting your device to your home network using an Ethernet cable (if it isn't already), or contact your Internet provider for help.
- Reduce traffic on your Wi-Fi network - Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Restart network Wi-Fi devices - As a last resort, try restarting your network devices. Unplug your modem and router, wait one minute, then plug them back in.
Step 3: Restart your Roku
- From the Roku Home screen, choose Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
- Open the HBO GO app and see if the issue is resolved.
Step 4: Remove and reinstall HBO GO
- From the Home Screen, find and highlight HBO GO.
- Press the * button on your remote.
- Select Remove channel.
- From the Home screen, go to Streaming Channels and find the HBO GO channel.
- Select HBO GO.
- On the channel info page, select Add channel.
Step 5: Reset your Roku
- Install Roku software updates (from the Roku Home screen, choose Settings > System > System update > Check now).
- Reinstall the HBO GO app.
- Activate HBO GO again.
If you're still having issues...