Troubleshoot HBO GO on a Kindle Fire tablet
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your Kindle Fire tablet, try the steps below, retrying the action that wasn't working after each step.
Step 1: Check for device updates
Go to Settings > Device > About > Update, and install updates if available. Then restart HBO GO and see if the issue is resolved.
Step 2: Check your internet connection
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
To check your network speed, search for “speed test” in a browser, then select RUN SPEED TEST.
If your network speed is above 5 mbps, your connection is fast enough for HBO GO. To keep troubleshooting, move onto Step 3.
If your network speed is below 5 mbps, try accessing HBO GO on another device, to make sure it’s the network and not just your device that’s having a problem. If the other device works fine, move to Step 3. If it also has trouble connecting to HBO GO, follow these steps to try and increase your network speed.
- Switch between Wi-Fi and cellular data - If you’re connected via Wi-Fi, try turning off Wi-Fi connecting using a cellular data connection. Or, if you’re already connected via cellular data, try connecting via Wi-Fi.
- Reduce traffic on your network - Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Restart network devices - As a last resort, try restarting your network devices. Unplug your modem and router, wait one minute, then plug them back in.
Step 3: Restart your Kindle Fire
- Hold down the power button until you're prompted to shut down your tablet (turn the tablet off, instead of putting it in sleep mode).
- Wait at least 20 seconds.
- Turn your tablet back on.
- Start HBO GO and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 4: Uninstall and reinstall HBO GO
- From Home, go to Settings > Applications > Manage All Applications.
- Tap HBO GO from the list of apps.
- Tap Uninstall and then OK.
- Download and reinstall HBO GO from the Amazon Appstore.
If you're still having issues...