Troubleshoot HBO GO on Xbox One
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your Xbox One, try the steps below, retrying the action that wasn't working after each step.
Step 1: Check the Xbox Live service status
Check the status of HBO GO and the Xbox Live service on the Xbox Live Service status page (scroll down to Apps to see if there's an issue with the HBO GO app).
Step 2: Check for Xbox One updates
Go to Settings > System > Updates > Update Console to see if there are updates for your Xbox One.
Step 3: Check your internet connection
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
You can run a diagnostic test from your Xbox One to check your connection speed by pressing the Menu button > Settings > Network > Detailed Network Statistics.
If your network speed is above 5 mbps, your connection is fast enough for HBO GO. To keep troubleshooting, move onto Step 4.
If your network speed is below 5 mbps, try accessing HBO GO on another device, to make sure it’s the network and not just your device that’s having a problem. If the other device works fine, move to Step 4. If it also has trouble connecting to HBO GO, follow these steps to try and increase your network speed.
- Try a wired connection - Try connecting your device to your home network using an Ethernet cable (if it isn't already), or contact your Internet provider for help.
- Reduce traffic on your Wi-Fi network - Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Restart network Wi-Fi devices - As a last resort, try restarting your network devices. Unplug your modem and router, wait one minute, then plug them back in.
Step 4: Uninstall, unplug Xbox One, and reinstall HBO GO
Step 1: Uninstall HBO GO
- Go to My games & apps.
- Highlight HBO GO and then press the Menu button on your controller.
- Choose Uninstall.
Step 2: Unplug your Xbox One
- Unplug the power cord from your Xbox One.
- Wait 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back in.
Step 3: Reinstall HBO GO
- Reinstall HBO GO (go to Apps and download HBO GO).
- Open HBO GO and see if the issue is resolved.