Troubleshoot HBO GO on Samsung TV
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your Samsung TV, try the steps below, retrying the action that wasn't working after each step.
Step 1: Update your Samsung TV
To check for updates on your Samsung TV:
- Turn on your Samsung TV, then press the Menu button on your remote control.
- Select Support > Software Update > Update Now.
For additional help, go to Samsung TV Support.
Step 2: Check your internet connection
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
To check your network speed, search for “speed test” in a browser from a computer on the same network as your Samsung TV, then select RUN SPEED TEST or Start.
If your network speed is above 5 mbps, your connection is fast enough for HBO GO. To keep troubleshooting, move onto Step 3.
If your network speed is below 5 mbps, try accessing HBO GO on another device, to make sure it’s the network and not just your device that’s having a problem. If the other device works fine, move to Step 3. If it also has trouble connecting to HBO GO, follow these steps to try and increase your network speed.
- Try a wired connection - Try connecting your device to your home network using an Ethernet cable (if it isn't already), or contact your Internet provider for help.
- Reduce traffic on your Wi-Fi network - Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Restart network Wi-Fi devices - As a last resort, try restarting your network devices. Unplug your modem and router, wait one minute, then plug them back in.
Step 3: Restart your Samsung TV
Restart your Samsung TV by unplugging it and plugging it back in, then open HBO GO and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 4: Uninstall/reinstall HBO GO
The following steps may vary depending on your Samsung TV model.
- Open the Smart Hub.
- Using the navigational keys on your remote to highlight HBO GO.
- Press the Tools button on your remote and then select Delete.
- Search for HBO GO.
- Select HBO GO to reinstall the app.
- Once installed, select Run.
- Activate the HBO GO app.
- See if the issue is resolved.
If you're still having issues...
Send us a support request.