Troubleshoot HBO GO on Apple TV
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your Apple TV, try the steps below, retrying the action that wasn't working after each step.
Step 1: Check for Apple TV updates
Make sure your software is up to date.
- Apple TV (4th generation): On your Apple TV, to Settings > System > Software Updates > Update Software. Also, go to the App Store and see if there's an update for HBO GO.
- Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation): On your Apple TV, go to Settings > General > Update Software.
Step 2: Check your internet connection
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
To check your network speed on Classic Apple TV, go to Settings > General > Network > Test Network.
To check your network speed on tvOS, search for “speed test” in a browser, then select RUN SPEED TEST or Start.
If your network speed is above 5 mbps, your connection is fast enough for HBO GO. To keep troubleshooting, move onto Step 3.
If your network speed is below 5 mbps, try accessing HBO GO on another device, to make sure it’s the network and not just your device that’s having a problem. If the other device works fine, move to Step 3. If it also has trouble connecting to HBO GO, follow these steps to try and increase your network speed.
- Try a wired connection - Try connecting your device to your home network using an Ethernet cable (if it isn't already), or contact your Internet provider for help.
- Reduce traffic on your Wi-Fi network - Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Restart network Wi-Fi devices - As a last resort, try restarting your network devices. Unplug your modem and router, wait one minute, then plug them back in.
Step 3: Restart your devices
Try restarting your Apple TV, going to HBO GO, and seeing if the problem is resolved.
Step 4: Uninstall and reinstall HBO GO (4th gen only)
To uninstall HBO GO on your 4th generation Apple TV:
- Highlight the HBO GO app, and then hold down the Touch surface or Select until the app starts to jiggle.
- Press Play/Pause, and then choose Delete.
- Open the app store and reinstall HBO GO.
If you're still having issues...