Troubleshoot video playback on Android phones and tablets
If you're having video playback issues with HBO GO on your Android phone or tablet, try the following steps:
Note Because there are many different Android phones and tablets, the exact procedures might vary from those below.
Step 1: Close and restart HBO GO
- On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > Application Manager (this step might vary depending on the device and operating system).
- Tap HBO GO in the list of apps (you might have to scroll through the list to find it).
- Tap Force Stop.
- Open the HBO GO app and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 2: Shut down and restart your device
- Hold down the power button until you're prompted to power off your device (turn the device off, instead of putting it in sleep mode).
- Wait at least twenty seconds.
- Turn your device back on.
- Open HBO GO and see if the problem is resolved.
Step 3: Switch to WiFi
If you're using a cellular data connection, try connecting to a wireless network and see if playback is improved (on your device, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and choose a wireless network).
HBO GO requires a solid Internet connection while streaming video. If playback is buffering on your device, check your connection speed using an app (i.e. go to Speedtest.net and install the Speed Test app). HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network connection.
Step 4: Turn off Bluetooth
Turn off Bluetooth on your device and then try playing a video again to see if playback is improved (on your device, go to Settings > Bluetooth to turn off Bluetooth).
Step 5: Remove and reinstall HBO GO
If you still have video playback issues, delete and reinstall HBO GO:
- On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > Application Manager.
- Tap HBO GO in the list of apps.
- Tap Force Stop.
- Tap Storage.
- Tap Clear Data to clear HBO GO app data from your device's memory.
- Tap Clear Cache.
- Tap the back button.
- Tap Uninstall.
- Download and reinstall HBO GO from the Google Play Store.
- Open HBO GO and try playing a video to see if playback is improved.
Step 6: Install Android software updates
Check for Android software updates by going to Settings > About Phone > System Update on your Android phone or tablet.
Note HBO GO is not supported on rooted Android devices or devices with a custom ROM. As a result, you may encounter problems that can only be resolved by restoring your device to factory settings.