Troubleshoot HBO GO on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, try the steps below, retrying the action that wasn't working after each step.
Step 1: Check for software updates
Make sure that your iOS software is up to date by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update. For more info go to Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Step 2: Check your internet connection
To stream HD video, you need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for HD video.
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If the network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, the video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
To check your network speed, search for “speed test” in a browser, then select RUN SPEED TEST or Start.
If your network speed is above 5 mbps, your connection is fast enough for HBO GO. To keep troubleshooting, move onto Step 3.
If your network speed is below 5 mbps, try accessing HBO GO on another device, to make sure it’s the network and not just your device that’s having a problem. If the other device works fine, move to Step 3. If it also has trouble connecting to HBO GO, follow these steps to try and increase your network speed.
- Switch between Wi-Fi and cellular data - If you’re connected via Wi-Fi, try turning off Wi-Fi connecting using a cellular data connection. Or, if you’re already connected via cellular data, try connecting via Wi-Fi.
- Reduce traffic on your Wi-Fi network - Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you watch HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
- Restart network Wi-Fi devices - As a last resort, try restarting your network devices. Unplug your modem and router, wait one minute, then plug them back in.
Step 3: Restart your device
Turn off your device (all the way off, not just in standby mode), wait a few seconds, and turn it back on.
Step 4: Uninstall/reinstall HBO GO
If you still have issues, delete and reinstall HBO GO:
- Delete HBO GO (press and hold the HBO GO app icon until it jiggles, then tap the X in the upper-left corner to delete).
- Turn your device off, wait a moment and then turn it back on again.
- Go to the App Store and get the HBO GO app.
- Open HBO GO, sign in, and try again.