Troubleshoot HBO GO on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, try the steps below, retrying the action that wasn't working after each step.
Step 1: Check your internet connection
HBO GO requires a constant Internet connection of 3.0 Mbps or greater to stream video. If playback is buffering on your iOS device, check your connection speed using an app (i.e. go to Speedtest.net and install the Speed Test app). HBO GO automatically adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network connection.
If you're using a cellular data connection, try connecting to a wireless network and see if playback is improved (go to Settings > Wi-Fi on your device, and choose a network).
Step 2: Restart the HBO GO app
- Press the Home button two times quickly to see the running apps.
- Swipe left or right to find HBO GO.
- Swipe up on the HBO GO preview to close it.
- Press the Home button.
- Find HBO GO and tap it to restart the app.
Step 3: Restart your device
Turn off your device (all the way off, not just in standby mode), wait a few seconds, and turn it back on.
Step 4: Install software updates
- Make sure that your iOS software is up to date by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update. For more info go to Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Make sure you have the latest update of the HBO GO app installed (go to the App Store on your iOS device and see if there's an HBO GO update).
Step 5: Remove and reinstall HBO GO
If you still have issues, delete and reinstall HBO GO:
- Delete HBO GO (press and hold the HBO GO app icon until it jiggles, then tap the X in the upper-left corner to delete).
- Turn your device off, wait a moment and then turn it back on again.
- Go to the App Store and get the HBO GO app.
- Open HBO GO, sign in, and try again.