Troubleshoot HBO GO on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
If you're having issues with HBO GO on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, try the steps below, retrying the action that wasn't working after each step.
Note You need to use the HBO GO app and not a web browser to stream on your iPhone or iPad.
Step 1: Update your software
- Make sure you have the latest version of HBO GO. To do this, open the App Store on your iOS device and search for HBO GO to see if an app update is available.
- Make sure that your iOS software is up to date by going to Settings > General > Software Update. Learn how to update
Step 2: Check your Internet connection
When streaming video, HBO GO adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network bandwidth and connection speed. If your network bandwidth is too low or the connection speed fluctuates, you might get a lower resolution video or no video. If your Internet connection drops altogether, video will stop playing and you'll be prompted to reconnect.
If video frequently buffers or is poor quality in HBO GO, try these steps:
- Check your network speed: Download an Internet speed test app from the Apple App Store to test your connection speed. You need a high-speed connection with a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps.
- Connect to Wi-Fi: If you're using a cellular data connection, try connecting to a wireless network to see if playback is improved.
- Switch to cellular data: If your wireless network signal is weak, try turning off Wi-Fi to see if playback is improved.
- Reduce traffic on your Wi-Fi network: Try minimizing the number of devices using your Internet connection when you stream HBO GO. This will allocate as much bandwidth as possible for streaming HBO GO.
Step 3: Restart your devices
- Turn off your phone or tablet with HBO GO.
- Unplug the power from your network devices (modem, router, etc.).
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the power to your modem and wait for it to connect to the Internet (about a minute).
- Reconnect the power to your router and wait for it to connect to the Internet.
- Turn your phone or tablet back on and see if playback is improved.
Step 4: Delete and reinstall HBO GO
- Press and hold the HBO GO app icon until it jiggles.
- Tap the X on the HBO GO icon.
- When prompted, tap Delete to confirm.
- Open the App Store and reinstall the HBO GO app.