Troubleshooting AirPlay on iOS
AirPlay is an iOS feature that lets you stream video to an Apple TV from your iOS device. When a compatible device is in range, the AirPlay icon appears along the top of the HBO GO video player.
To use AirPlay:
- Make sure your mobile device and Apple TV are both connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your iOS device, swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access the Control Center.
- Tap AirPlay.
- Tap Apple TV.
For more info about how to use AirPlay, go to Apple TV Support: AirPlay.
Troubleshooting issues with AirPlay
Here are some common troubleshooting steps you can use if you encounter an issue using AirPlay in HBO GO on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Step 1: Check your device software
Make sure you have the latest software on your iOS device and Apple TV. You'll need the latest version of the HBO GO app installed, an iOS device running iOS 8.0 or higher, and a 2nd generation or later Apple TV.
Step 2: Check your internet connection
HBO GO requires a constant Internet connection of 5.0 Mbps or greater to stream video. If playback is buffering on your iOS device, check your connection speed using an app (i.e. go to Speedtest.net and install the Speed Test app). HBO GO automatically adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network connection.
If you're using a cellular data connection, try connecting to a wireless network and see if playback is improved (go to Settings > Wi-Fi on your device, and choose a network).
Step 3: Check your volume settings
- Make sure that the volume is up (not muted) on your iOS device and your TV or receiver.
- Check the Ring/Silent switch on your iPhone or iPad. Try toggling the switch to get audio.
- Try changing your audio settings on your Apple TV. For information about this, see No sound on Apple TV.
Step 4: Restart the HBO GO app
- Press the Home button two times quickly to see the running apps.
- Swipe left or right to find HBO GO.
- Swipe up on the HBO GO preview to close it.
- Press the Home button.
- Find HBO GO and tap it to restart the app.
Step 5: Restart your device
Turn off your device (all the way off, not just in standby mode), wait a few seconds, and turn it back on.
Step 6: Remove and reinstall HBO GO
If you still have issues, delete and reinstall HBO GO:
- Delete HBO GO (press and hold the HBO GO app icon until it jiggles, then tap the X in the upper-left corner to delete).
- Turn your device off, wait a moment and then turn it back on again.
- Go to the App Store and get the HBO GO app.
- Open HBO GO, sign in, and try again.
For additional help troubleshooting issues with AirPlay, go to Get help with AirPlay.