Troubleshooting AirPlay on iOS
AirPlay is an iOS feature that lets you stream video to an Apple TV from your iOS device. When a compatible device is in range, the AirPlay icon appears along the top of the HBO GO video player.
To use AirPlay:
- Make sure your iOS device and Apple TV are both connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your Apple TV, make sure AirPlay is turned on in Settings > AirPlay. For more info, go to AirPlay settings on Apple TV.
- Open HBO GO on your iOS device and start playing a video.
- On your iOS device, open the iOS Control Center (swipe up from the bottom edge on iPhone 8 or earlier, or swipe down from the upper-right corner on iPhone X or later).
- Tap Screen Mirroring.
- Tap your Apple TV.
For more info about how to use AirPlay, go to How to AirPlay Video.
Troubleshooting issues with AirPlay
If you can't stream HBO GO with AirPlay, try the following steps.
Step 1: Check your device software
Make sure you have the latest software on your iOS device and Apple TV. You'll need the latest version of the HBO GO app, an iOS device running iOS 12.2 or higher, and a 2nd generation or later Apple TV.
Step 2: Check your internet connection
HBO GO requires a constant Internet connection of 5.0 Mbps or greater to stream video. If playback is buffering, check your connection speed using an app (i.e. go to Speedtest.net and install the Speed Test app). HBO GO automatically adjusts the video quality based on the strength of your network connection.
If you're using a cellular data connection, try connecting to a wireless network and see if playback is improved (go to Settings > Wi-Fi on your device, and choose a network).
Step 3: Check your volume settings
- Make sure that the volume is up (not muted) on your iOS device and your TV or receiver.
- Check the Ring/Silent switch on your iPhone or iPad. Try toggling the switch to get audio.
- Try changing your audio settings on your Apple TV. For information about this, see No sound on Apple TV.
Step 4: Restart your device
Turn off your device (all the way off, not just in standby mode), wait a few seconds, and turn it back on.
Step 5: Remove and reinstall HBO GO
If you still have issues, delete and reinstall HBO GO:
- Delete the HBO GO app from your iOS device. To find out how, please see Delete an app.
- Open the App Store and install the HBO GO app.
- Open HBO GO and sign in again.
For more help with AirPlay, go to Get help with AirPlay.