How to use parental controls with HBO
- How do I set or change parental controls?
- Can I create accounts for my kids?
- How do I turn off parental controls?
- What ratings can I choose from?
If parental controls are turned on, when you try to play a video whose rating exceeds your maximum allowed rating, you'll see a message letting you know that access is restricted by parental controls.
How do I set or change parental controls?
You can change parental controls for HBO in up to three places: on your device, through your TV provider, or in the HBO app. To find out how to set parental controls on your device or through your TV provider, consult your device instructions or contact your TV provider.
- Go to HBOGO.com and sign in. If your TV provider account has sub-accounts, be sure to sign in with your primary account (sub-accounts can't set parental controls).
- In the upper-right corner, choose the Profile icon and then Parental Controls. If your TV provider supports parental controls, you'll see a message directing you to set your parental controls with your TV provider. If you don't see this message, continue to the next step.
- Choose maximum allowed ratings for both Movies and TV. If your TV provider supports sub-accounts, you can set controls for each account individually. The defaults are NC-17 (Unrestricted) and TV-MA (Unrestricted).
- Do one of the following:
- First time? Enter a PIN and then choose Set Parental Controls. You may need to provide an email address in case you forget your PIN.
- Already have a PIN? Enter your PIN and then choose Save Changes. If you forgot your PIN, see How to reset or change your PIN.
You can see your parental controls on your TiVo, however, to change these settings use the steps above. To see your settings, choose the Profile icon in the HBO app and then choose Parental Controls.
Note To find out if your TiVo supports parental controls, refer to the documentation for your device.
What should I do if my parental controls aren't working?
Changes made to your parental controls might not take effect immediately across all devices. If your changes aren't taking effect, follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Sign out and back in
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, choose the Profile icon and then choose Sign Out.
- Now sign back in to HBO and see if your parental control changes are in effect. If they still aren't working, move onto the next step.
Step 2: Restart your TiVo
- Turn your TiVo off, wait a moment, and then it back on again.
- Open HBO and sign in.
Can I create accounts for my kids?
Some TV providers let you create sub-accounts, which you can use to create a separate profile for your kids to access HBO. This way you can set parental controls for your kids' sub-account without affecting your primary account. Contact your TV provider to find out if they support sub-accounts for HBO. Sub-accounts can't change parental controls. Only the primary account can change parental controls.
If your TV provider doesn't support sub-accounts, then your parental controls will apply to everyone using your HBO profile. When you want to watch something that exceeds your parental control ratings, you'll need to change your parental controls, and then set the parental controls back after you're done watching.
How do I turn off parental controls?
To turn off HBO parental controls, change the maximum ratings allowed to the following unrestricted settings at HBOGO.com:
Movies: NC-17 (Unrestricted)
TV: TV-MA (Unrestricted)
If you can't watch all HBO content, check to see if you have parental controls set on your device or on your TV provider account.
What ratings can I choose from?
Parental controls limit which HBO shows and movies can be watched based on industry-standard movie and TV ratings. You can set the maximum rating for movies and TV shows separately.
For example, you can set the maximum allowed rating to PG-13 for movies and TV-PG for TV shows. Once set, movies with ratings above PG-13, and TV shows with ratings above TV-PG can’t be played.
You can choose from the following ratings:
Movie ratings: G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17
TV ratings: TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-G, TV-PG, TV-14, TV-MA