All about HBO GO VR
HBO NOW VR brings you all of HBO through virtual reality viewing.
What do I need?
- HBO subscription with a TV provider
- Google Pixel or Pixel XL phone or a Motorola Moto Z, Moto Z Droid, or Moto Z Force Droid phone
- Daydream View headset and controller
- HBO GO VR app (available in the Google Play Store, at no additional cost, only on a Daydream-ready phone)
How do I get HBO GO VR?
Install the HBO GO VR app from the Google Play Store on a Daydream-ready phone. You must have HBO through a TV provider to use HBO GO VR (if you don't have HBO, contact your TV provider or go to HBO.com/order. You sign in to HBO GO VR using your the email and password for your TV provider account (see the next section).
Sign in to HBO GO VR
Here's how to sign in:
- Open HBO GO VR and choose to play a movie or show.
- Choose Sign In.
- Remove your phone from the Daydream headset and hold your phone in portrait mode.
- Choose your TV provider.
- Enter your email and password for your TV provider account.
- Tap Return to VR.
- Put your phone back into the Daydream headset and put the headset back on.
How do I change settings in HBO GO VR?
The HBO GO and HBO GO VR apps use the same settings. This means that if you change your settings in HBO GO (i.e. edit your Watchlist or change your parental controls), the change will apply to HBO GO VR. You can't change your settings in the HBO GO VR app.
Using the Daydream controller
You use the Daydream controller to interact with the HBO GO VR app.
- Volume: You can adjust the volume using the buttons on the side of your Daydream controller. You can use your phone's speaker or plug in headphones for stereo sound.
- Touchpad: Swipe on the touchpad to move the cursor or press the touchpad to make a selection.
- App button: Press to go back to the previous screen.
- Home button: Press and hold the Home button to re-center yourself in the experience. Or press/click the button to go to the Home screen.
Troubleshooting HBO GO VR
Cursor is sluggish or drifts
If the cursor in HBO GO VR is sluggish or drifts, press and hold the Home button (lower button on your controller) to recenter the cursor in the middle of the screen.
If you're have a sound issue and you're using Bluetooth headphones, try using wired headphones instead. The Google daydream controller uses Bluetooth and may be conflicting with your Bluetooth headphones.
Low volume with wired headphones
If the volume is too low when using wired headphones with HBO GO VR, do the following:
- On your phone, go to Settings > Sounds and vibration > Volume.
- Move the Media volume slider until you get a safety warning.
- Accept the safety warning.
- Go back to HBO GO VR and use the volume buttons on the Daydream controller to increase the volume.
Additional troubleshooting steps
If you're having another issue with HBO GO VR, force close and restart the HBO GO VR app. To find out how, see Step 1 in Troubleshoot HBO GO on an Android phone.
Pixel phone help
If you're using a Pixel phone and need help, go to the Pixel Phone Help Center.